Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, the perfect quick and easy breakfast, full of zest and crunch! Egg free, dairy free but flavor packed!
PIN my Easy Lemon and Poppy Seed Vegan Muffins to make later
Sometimes breakfast is hard to navigate. I like to stay in bed as late as I can before grabbing something really quick to eat. On the weekend, I'm happy to prepare a long, leisurely brunch, but during the week, my favourite thing to do is prep my breakfast the night before. And yes, I know, a muffin isn't the healthiest of breakfasts...but it IS vegan and yummy!
If my vegan lemon breakfast muffin recipe isn't your thing (and of course, there's always lunch, brunch and lupper, as Homer Simpson would say), you might prefer my healthy breakfast muffins, classic fluffy vegan blueberry muffins, my unusual beetroot muffins or perhaps my Banana Peanut Butter Pancakes are more up your street, or maybe my 3 ingredient protein balls! But these are a perfect sweet breakfast to take into work colleagues or a friend who needs cheering up!
The mainstay of the on-the-go breakfast eater, these easy lemon poppy seed muffins are much lighter and fluffier than the dense, dried out ones you pick up, bleary-eyed, on your morning petrol run. With a strong lemon flavor, these muffins will become a family favourite in no time! They also take no time at all to whip up.
However, if you find that time is not on your side in the mornings, or you just prefer to spend every precious minute dozing before the alarm goes off, you can make these the night before.
- Plain Flour or all-purpose flour. Feel free to use your own gf flour blend too, if you are gluten intolerant.
- Sugar. I use white sugar, but you can use brown sugar, or coconut sugar if you prefer.
- Poppy seeds. Of course, you can't make Lemon Poppy seed muffins without poppy seeds! These add a delightful crunch. You could use chia seeds if you prefer.
- Yogurt. I use Alpro natural or vanilla yogurt in baking. You could also make your own vegan buttermilk if you prefer, souring 240ml of plant-based milk (you could use oat milk, coconut milk, rice milk or soy milk) with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and leaving to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Egg Replacer. I like to use Orgran, but you could make flax eggs instead.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil. You could use melted coconut oil if you prefer.
- Fresh lemon juice. The star of the muffins, lemons. Not only are this full of delicious lemon juice, they also use lemon zest for that strong citrus flavor. Don't be tempted to use lemon extract. It is cheaper to buy regular lemons and use those.
(This is ONLY a list of ingredients for the recipe; please see recipe card below for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
Blend the wet ingredients and add to the dry
Mix gently until just combined
Using a muffin or ice cream scoop, divide the mixture between 12 muffin cases and bake for 18-20 mins
How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Muffins
Note: If you want to make the muffins gluten free, simply swap out the flour for your favourite gluten-free flour mix instead!
- Line a 12 hole muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Pour all the wet ingredients into a blender plus the sugar, egg replacer and 4 tablespoons of water, and whizz together until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Fold in the poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, fill your muffin cases about ¾ full.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and the muffins spring back to the touch.
- Your moist vegan lemon poppy seed muffins need to cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes. I know you will have a hard time waiting, but it'll be worth it!
I love all things lemon, and whilst I don't ice these muffins, you could make a simple lemon icing, similar to the one I use on my chewy lemon cookies, here.
More vegan breakfast inspiration!
- My naughty but nice Tiramisu Pancakes
- My delicious gluten free granola
- My perfect vegan waffle recipe
- Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
- Lemon and Blueberry Pancakes
Better than Coffee-Shop Lemon Muffins
- 12 hole Muffin Tin
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 260 g Plain Flour
- 150 g White Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 20 g Poppy Seeds (optional)
- 240 ml Yogurt vegan, (any plant based of your choice, plain or vanilla)
- 3 teaspoon Egg Replacer whisked up with 4 tablespoon cold water
- 60 ml Vegetable Oil
- 120 ml Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 1 zest of one Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin wrappers
- In a blender, whizz together the oil, yogurt, lemon juice and prepared egg replacer.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients except for the poppy seeds.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Stir until just combined. The mixture should still have a few little lumps.
- Pour into the prepared muffin cases and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until they are risen and just spring back to the touch.
- Make sure to leave muffins 10 minutes before eating, they will be much less crumbly!
- You can use self-raising gluten-free flour instead
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
Kirby Jeanne says
Yum! I love a good lemon poppy muffin!
Oh...... these were GOOOODDDDD! Thanks!
Yum! These are so delicious!
Alice | SkinnySpatula says
These muffins look so, so good! I'm pinning this recipe to make soon.
Lemon and poppyseed is such a classic combo, one of my favourite! Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe!
Amanda Dixon says
These were so soft and moist! The lemon gave them the perfect zip and brightness for summer too. Definitely worth baking!
Delicious! I love lemon poppyseed muffins!
Lemon and Poppy seeds make the most amazing muffin. I've not used an egg replacer in this type of recipe before so I'm keen to try it. Something good to tuck into the lunchbox. Thank you.
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/ says
Love the combination! I'll have to bake a batch soon:)
Love it! Lemons and poppy seeds! my favorite!
Lemon and poppy seed is one of my favourite combinations for baking! These sound so delicious!
Kayla DiMaggio says
I love the lemon and poppy seed flavor! Poppy seed and lemon together really make a great mixture. I can't wait to make these again and again!
Lemon and poppy seed muffins are my favorite and these ones came out so moist and so flavorful. Definitely making this to have on hand for breakfast more often!
Lemon and poppy seeds are my favorite combination! I love these muffins! They are super soft and tangy but sweet! Thank you!
Those muffins look really great! I am a lemon lover to the core, it would be hard for me to eat just one! Definitely going to give this a go, thank you so much for the recipe.
These lemon and poppy seed muffins are easy to make and so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
These lemon and poppy seed muffins are great for breakfast on the go. The lemon wasn't overpowering either like some store bought ones. I'm happy to have a homemade recipe I can keep coming back to!
Definitely better than coffee shop muffins. They sound so good with all that yoghurt and lemon and poppy seed is one of my favourites.
I love starting the day with lemon & poppyseed muffins. These are so good, thank you for sharing!
My favourite muffin flavours and this recipe did not disappoint. Moist and delicious.
Love anything with lemon so these muffins totally hit the spot for me. Amazing that these are vegan, I would never know. Great recipe.
I hated poppy seeds as a child but my kiddo loves them. She recently requested poppy seed muffins so I obliged and made these. I tried them and to my surprise loved them!!! They were perfectly moist and flavored.
These lemon muffins are so soft and fluffy! They are such a great spring recipe!
Lemon and poppyseed, the classic combination and definitely one of my favourite by far! This is an easy and yummy recipe.