The most delicious vegan peanut butter cookies recipe. Sometimes only a treat from childhood will do and my vegan peanut butter cookies recipe will send you back to school yard with one bite!
Peanut Butter is the one smell, texture and flavour that reminds me of being a kid. I remember white plastic bread smeared together with peanut butter. I remember our breaths smelling of it as we raced around the school playground. I remember laughing at friends whose parents stuffed celery with it and being grossed out and then in love with peanut butter combined with strawberry jam.
I first tried Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups when I was about 11, bought at a local American airbase by friend with American family. I had to wait another 12 years before I would taste anything this good again!
But how I remembered and still can recall the thrill of tearing open the orange foil packaging. Smelling the peanut aroma. Slowly peeling off the brown wrapper and letting my teeth sink into that salty, sweet then salty again taste.
When I first became vegan, I felt sure that I would never taste something as delicious as those peanut butter cups.
BBut then I discovered the peanut butter cookie. They are buttery, more grown-up vegan cookies, tinged with the taste of peanut butter, sophisticated, but just as good made into a strawberry jam cookie sandwich. These are the perfect vegan sweet treat, and this is one of the easiest vegan cookie recipes there is! The peanut butter lovers in your life will love them!
The recipe is simple, switching out the eggs for vegan yogurt, non-dairy milk and vegan spread instead of butter. This classic peanut butter cookie recipe uses simple ingredients, found in most store cupboards.
- Plain or all purpose flour. You can replace this with gluten free flour or oat flour.
- Baking Powder
- Vegan Yogurt. This is in place of egg / egg replacer / flax egg, working essentially as a binder. You could use unsweetened applesauce instead.
- Soft brown sugar
- Peanut Butter. Of course! You can't make PB cookies without peanut butter! I like to use a brand like Skippy or Sun-Pat, (for a stronger peanut butter flavor) but feel free to use a natural peanut butter if you want a healthy peanut butter cookie. You could also use almond butter. I like to use a creamy peanut butter, but you can use crunchy peanut butter too.
- Vegan Butter. Use your favourite brand but make sure it's at room temperature.
- Soy Milk. You can use almond milk or your favorite plant-based milk instead.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the butter, yogurt, milk, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well until you have a soft dough. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop out dough balls onto your prepared baking tray, about 2" apart.
- Using the tines of a fork, press into the top of the dough making the classic criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the top of the cookies are light golden brown.
- Leave for cool for a couple of minutes before leaving to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- These will last for 7-10 days in an airtight container.
Try my other delicious vegan cookies
- The best Chocolate Chip Cookies, as large as saucers!
- Easy Vegan Shortbread
- Levain-style Cookies
- Tangy Lemon Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1¾ cups Plain Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Yogurt vegan, plain
- 1⅓ cups Brown Sugar soft
- 1½ cups Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
- ½ cup Butter vegan, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoon Soy Milk or dairy-free of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (optional), vegan
- Preheat Oven to 180c.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, spread, yogurt, milk, vanilla and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips if using, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of mixture, 2 inches apart, on the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until just turning golden.
- Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
These look amazing! There’s nothing like peanut butter and chocolate together!
You had me at peanut butter! Yum!
These really are the most delicious!!
Truly nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter!
Oh man these look absolutely delicious ?
These look divine!! Def the best combo!
Love peanut butter cookies!
These are such a favourite, yum!
nothing better than the surprise of a stuffed cookie?
Peanut Butter and Chocolate the perfect flavour combination!
I love peanut butter ???thanks for the recipe ? it’s such a treat!
Olga Veiga says
I need to bake those!! Love peanut butter so much!
Kim Guzman says
Looks like a delicious recipe and I can't wait to try it!
These cookies are perfection
So gut, yummi!
Vielen vielen Dank für die Gramm Angaben.
Liebe Grüße sendet,
Jesse-Gabriel aus Berlin
Kayla DiMaggio says
Loving these peanut butter cookies! They are amazing!
Peanut butter cookies are one of my favourites. On my list!
These peanut butter cookies are such a delicious snack. The melted chocolate chips are the perfect finishing touch.
These were so delicious! Kids smashed them!
These cookies are seriously amazing!
My kids couldn't get enough of these cookies!
Stine Mari says
Yum I really love these peanut butter cookies, can't believe they are actually vegan!
I would love to have these vegan peanut butter cookies at tea time in evening. My kid will love these.
I made these vegan peanut butter cookies for my PB-loving hubby and he couldn't tell the difference between them and his conventional cookies. A huge hit!
Love these awesome cookies! Peanut butter and chocolate is always a winning combination!
Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combo so I definitely had to add those chocolate chips! The cookies came out really good and I'll definitely make them again soon.
This peanut butter and chocolate combo was divine. No one would have even known these were vegan!
Marisa Franca says
We have the sweetest neighbor who's a vegan. I wanted to make her something special for all the nice things she does for our family. I made her this vegan Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. She LOVED it and even asked for the recipe. I gave her YOUR link so she could read about you and the recipe. And yes, I did taste one and they are delicious. I think I'll even make another batch for our family.
These cookies are delicious and you can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate! I loved them!
Jacqueline Debono says
I love your comment about eating peanut butter on plastic white bread when you were young! I have the same memory haha! These vegan peanut butter cookies are on my to make list. They look and sound so good!
Ooh the yogurt in these is a brilliant idea. They look so delicious...I love PB cookies...great recipe 😀
We loved these cookies! They were so full of peanut butter flavor. I'll definitely put these on the cookie baking rotation.
Loved these peanut butter cookies! So good.
We loved these peanut butter cookies. The fork print is so nostalgic too! Thanks for another great recipe x
My kids love pb cookies so I wanted to give this vegan version a try. So glad I did! They’re absolutely delicious!
I just made peanut butter cookies last week. The classic never grows old. It's hard not to eat 3-4 at once.
Who doesn't love the peanut butter chocolate combo? Love these vegan cookies, so yummy!
I have such similar memories of peanut butter! It has always been such a favorite of mine and I always gravitate towards recipes with peanut butter. These cookies look amazing and I can't wait to bake them!