The most delicious vegan peanut butter cookies recipe. Sometimes only a treat from childhood will do. Peanut Butter is the one smell, texture and flavour that reminds me of being a kid. I remember white plastic bread smeared together with peanut butter. I remember our breaths smelling of it as we raced around the school playground. I remember laughing at friends whose parents stuffed celery with it and being grossed out and then in love with peanut butter combined with strawberry jam.
I first tried Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups when I was about 11, bought at a local American airbase by friend with American family. I had to wait another 12 years before I would taste anything this good again!
But how I remembered and still can recall the thrill of tearing open the orange foil packaging. Smelling the peanut aroma. Slowly peeling off the brown wrapper and letting my teeth sink into that salty, sweet then salty again taste.
When I first became vegan, I felt sure that I would never taste something as delicious as those peanut butter cups.
But then I discovered the peanut butter cookie. They are a buttery, more grownup cookie, tinged with the taste of peanut butter, sophisticated, but just as good made into a strawberry jam cookie sandwich.
The recipe is simple, switching out the eggs for vegan yogurt, non-dairy milk and vegan spread instead of butter. And if you love these cookies, try my Oatmeal Choc Chip Vegan cookies here!
- 1¾ cups (220g) Plain Flour
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup (60ml) Vegan Yogurt
- 1⅓ cups (280g) Soft Brown Sugar
- 1½ cups (195g) Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth)
- ½ cup (112g) Soft Vegan Butter
- 3 tbsp non-dairy Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup 90g Vegan Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 180c.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, spread, yogurt, milk, vanilla and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips if using, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of mixture, 2 inches apart, on the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until just turning golden.
- Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before removing to a cooling rack.