Easy vegan mushroom rice. A long-term family favourite, this is great for using up any boiled rice you may have leftover.
The few ingredients used belie the deep flavour and wholly satisfying feeling your tummy receives after eating this dish.
The earthy mushrooms, with their squeaky, barely cooked texture work so perfectly with the fresh coriander, the heat of the chili, and the tang of the spring onion. A few dashes of soy sauce unify the whole dish.
This can be served as a side dish or on its own. I enjoy just a dash of hot sweet chili sauce with it.
This recipe uses only five main ingredients, and the rest are store cupboard staples:
- Mushrooms. You can't have mushroom rice, without mushrooms! I like to use chestnut mushrooms, but you could also use white mushrooms or button mushrooms. I wouldn't recommend using an exotic mushroom, or large portabello mushrooms.
- Basmati Rice. The queen of all the rice, Basmati has such a unique nutty flavour that I find irresistible. Use long grain white rice or brown rice if you don't have basmati, but do not use easy cook, or a short grain. Here's my guide to cooking the perfect basmati rice.
- Chilis. I love to use red chilis in this for colour and gentle heat. I don't use the super hot birds eye chilis, and I deseed them first. However, this is all up to your personal preference! Go ahead and make it spicier if you prefer!
- Spring Onions or Scallions. These add a subtle onion flavour to the dish. I wouldn't recommend substituting with regular onion as the flavour and texture is completely different.
- Garlic. Finely chopped.
- Soy Sauce. I season my cooked rice with this first, then I season the whole dish at the end. It ends an essential flavour to the rice. My favourite brand is Kikkoman.
- Toasted Sesame Oil. I use this sparingly as it is very strongly flavoured, but again, it adds an essential flavour to the finished dish.
- Fresh Coriander. For me, another critical ingredient, however, some people hate it, so if that's you, omit it.
- Cook your basmati rice. Sprinkle with a little soy sauce and leave to cool whilst you prep the other ingredients.
- Sauté the spring onion and garlic over a gently heat until fragrant and softened. Using a slotted spoon, remove to a small bowl.
- You want to use the same oil, as we are adding layers of flavour to it.
- Now sauté the chili briefly, then add the mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms are softened, stir in the rice.
- Turn the heat up a little and mix the rice into the mushrooms thoroughly.
- Now add the spring onions/garlic mixture and mix that in.
- Add some more soy sauce to your taste, sprinkle with chopped coriander (if using) and serve!
Try my other easy vegan supper dishes
- Easy and Delicious Cajun Tacos
- Macanese Minchi (potato and mince hash)
- Quick and Easy Tofu Bowl
- Comforting vegan Shepherds Pie
- Sag Aloo
- Matsunomi-No-Cha-Han Japanese Brown Fried Rice
- Chili Crisp Noodles
Easy Vegan Mushroom Rice
- ¾ cup Basmati Rice
- 3 tablespoon Rapeseed Oil
- 6 Spring Onions chopped
- 1 Red Chili deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 9 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoon Coriander chopped
- Salt to taste
- Boil the rice using you will need 1½ cups water. See here for my guide to making the perfect rice
- Pour into a large bowl, pour over a tablespoon of soy sauce and leave to cool.
- Heat the oils in a wok or large frying pan and quickly stir fry the spring onions and garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Now stir fry the chilli for about 10 seconds, then add the mushrooms.
- Stir fry until the mushrooms just start to soften and then stir in the cooled rice.
- Add a little more oil if the rice looks to be sticking but keep the mixture moving and it should be fine.
- Once the rice is hot, add the remaining soy sauce, the reserved spring onion and the chopped coriander.
- Gently stir through and taste for seasoning.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
YUM!!! This Easy vegan mushroom rice is so perfect for a busy mom like me.:) So fast and easy to prepare and so delish!!! Thanks.:)
Freya this rice looks absolutely incredible!! I will for try it soon
What a delicious mushroom rice! It turned out perfectly! The spring onion and garlic are also not too intrusive here. Just perfect!
Such a tasty and easy recipe for the family! Everyone loved it and this mushroom rice is so satisfying!
I love any dish with garlic. The mushrooms are a nice touch too!
Katie Youngs says
I love that this recipe has minimal ingredients. Simple recipes are my favorite! I also love the flavor combo of mushrooms, soy sauce and sesame oil.
Love that this uses leftover rice. Perfect last minute dinner...and the mushrooms were so tasty.
The flavor of this looks like it'll be absolutely amazing (and so savory)! I've actually never had basmati rice so can't wait to try it out.
Your pictures are fantastic and made me so hungry that I had to try this the same night. 10 out of 10! Plus I love how it's vegan and we're going to use this for meatless Mondays from now on. Thanks for sharing this!
I had a gathering of friends, one of whom is vegan, this weekend, so I made this vegan mushroom rice for her. You weren't lying when you said it was easy, but it was also so very flavorful that I ended up eating more than she did.
Really loved this mushroom rice! The earthiness of the mushrooms was perfect with the soy sauce. It all made for such a flavorful dish.
Yum. I love that it only takes 20 minutes to cook. Delicious and everyone enjoyed.
Jacqueline Debono says
I love mushrooms and rice together both as a side dish or for a light meal! This would also be a great recipe for leftover rice! So easy to make!
Amanda Mason says
This recipe was so good and easy to make! I was looking for a new rice recipe to make and this one hit the spot! My family loved it!
Is there a substitution to use for the rapeseed oil? I am having a hard time finding it in my area. This recipe sounds delicious, so I hope I can find it!
any vegetable oil will work!
Hi Ann, you can use any vegetable oil!
Looks so hearty and wholesome. I love this idea for rice...a great recipe to try and perfect side for so many things.