How to make vegan rough puff pastry, suitable for lots of little pasties, pies or even millefeuille.
What is Rough Puff Pastry?
Rough puff pastry does not really resemble true puff pastry, in that it doesn't have lots of light, airy layers. However, it does have a lighter texture than shortcrust, and is perfect for little pasties or lighter tarts. It takes no time at all to prepare, just make sure that you have the ingredients ready in advance: the cold margarine or vegan butter, and some ice (for iced water). There is a nice article here from James Bonfield Recipes that details different types of pastries and when to use them.
I have detailed the full procedure here, but if I can make rough puff pastry in 10 minutes flat, then so can anyone. I must confess that as I initially started the rough puff recipe, I thought the pastry was going to be a bog-standard shortcrust but as I went on, the folding and turning of the butter into the flour made me realise that I was already part way through making something a bit different that I had never made before and that yes, I had made the rash decision to prepare in my lunch-hour. Fear not though. You can make this in less than 10 minutes.
I use rough puff pastry to make my Salsa Truffina Triangles, and also eccles cakes, but I will link here other recipes that I use them for too!
Can I freeze Rough Puff Pastry?
Yes! Just make sure to clingfilm the pastry tightly after the first stage of chilling, and secure in a ziplock bag before popping into the freezer. It will stay in the freezer quite happily for 6 months. Make sure to remove from the freezer the day before you intend to use it and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Using a knife, cut the diced, chilled vegan butter into the flour and salt
Add a little iced water until you get a shaggy dough
Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together into a rectangle.
Then, fold into thirds, as above, by bringing one half to the middle, then bringing the other half over the top. Wrap in clingfilm and chill.
Try these delicious recipes!
- Make my delicious Truffle and Spinach Triangles using this recipe!
- How to make Shortcrust Pastry
- 5 Vegan Baking Ingredients
- Eccles Cakes using rough puff pastry
Vegan Rough Puff Pastry
- Rolling Board
- 225 g Plain Flour sifted into a large bowl
- 225 g Butter chilled, vegan
- Salt pinch
- Iced Water to combine (probably no more than 2 tbps)
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl with the salt.
- Add the chilled, diced butter and stir through the flour with a knife until coated.
- Add enough of the iced water to bring the mixture together.
- Wodge together as well as you can an turn out onto a cold surface.
- Form a rough cube and flouring your board, hands, rolling pin and pastry well, roll out into a rectangle, then fold the two longest ends inwards and then in half. Repeat. The pastry is very sticky because the butter is not worked into the flour in the traditional manner (i.e. rubbing with your fingers).
- Roll into a thick rectangle, maybe 6 inches by 4 inches, wrap in cling-film and refrigerate for at least half an hour (preferably longer).
- Once chilled, you can now proceed with making the rest of your recipe!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I love that it's very minimal ingredients and fairly easy to make. Super excited for all the delicious snacks I'll be making with this rough puff pastry!
This is such a great recipe! Turned out absolutely delicious!
Kayla DiMaggio says
Oh my goodness! I have been looking for a good vegan pastry recipe and this is it!
What a great recipe, I used it for some pesto nut butter I made and it held it really well.
I love a good puff pastry recipe and this one sounds delicious and easy to make!
This is such a helpful tutorial. It was easier than I thought!
I love making pastry this one's so easy and quick, love it.
this is such a good recipe, it's sooo good you can make vegan pastry and save the animals
A fantastic vegan puff pastry recipe, we made apple turnovers and the family loved them 🙂