Best vegan junk food UK. In an ideal world we would have a vegan restaurant available to us on every high street or in every shopping centre. Sadly life doesn't quite work like that, and we have to make compromises. Fortunately the larger food chains are taking notice of the demands of the ever-increasing plant-based community, and are now veganising their meaty favourites for us all to enjoy.
If you find yourself out and about with no decent vegan restaurants in sight, some of these fast-food chains maybe your best option (if you haven't packed yourself a sandwich instead). I've reviewed five of my favourite places to get your vegan junk food fix in the UK.
All of these places also deliver on one of the three delivery services in the UK: Deliveroo, Just Eat and Uber Eats.
McDonalds Vegan Options
- The McPlant. 429kcals. Comparable to its meaty counterpart the quarterpounder, the McPlant is a delicious, reasonably priced burger, topped with a slice of plant-based cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, vegan mayo, mustard and ketchup.
- Fries 337kcals for a medium portion. Post-2020, the classic McD fries were the only option for vegan fast food fans on their menu.
- Veggie Dippers 160kcals for 2. Marketed as red pepper with pesto, the bulk of these dippers is actually yellow split peas. They also form their "Spicy Veggie One" wrap, which is vegan.
- Hash Brown 127kcals. Seems to be the only substantial savoury vegan item on their breakfast menu since discontinuing their bagel.
- English Muffin with Jam. Ask for this without the spread which has butter in it.
KFC Vegan Options
- Original Recipe Vegan Burger 410kcals. A Quorn burger coated in the KFC original coating, topped with vegan mayo and lettuce.
- KFC Regular BBQ Beans 105kcals.
- Corn Cob 60kcals.
- French Fries 270kcals. Note, these are not prepared separately from their meat-based meals, so bare this in mind when ordering their fries.
Burger King Vegan Options
By far, BK have embraced the plant-based menu more than any other fast-food chain.
- Plant-Based Whopper (quarterpounder style) 554.7kcals.
Note about the preparation of the plant-based Whopper, from the Burger King website:
"The Plant-Based Whopper® is plant-based, however it is cooked on the same broiler as our original Whopper® to delivery the same unique flame-grilled taste and therefore the product not certified by the Vegan Society®."
- Vegan Royale (chicken-style) 571.2kcals
- Vegan Nuggets, 243kcals per nugget
- Fries regular, 276kcals
- Vegan Katsu Royale
- Plant-Based Katsu Chili Whopper
Subway Vegan Options
What vegan options are available at Subway? Subway has long been the stalwart of people looking for a quick and filling vegan lunch, with the Veggie Delite still being a favourite. The only bread that is NOT suitable for vegans, is the Italian Herb and Cheese.
- Veggie Delite 6" 216kcals
- Plant Patty sub 6" 368kcals
- Meatless Marinara Sub 6" 400kcals
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cookie 220kcals
- Meatless Meatballs 162kcals
- Mozzarella-style Cheese-free Toasted Bite 102kcal
- TLC (Tastes Like Chicken) Sub, 6" 325kcals
- TLS (Tastes like Steak) Sub, 6" 317kcals
- Hash Browns 153kcals
- Crispers 227kcals
Papa Johns Vegan Options
Papa Johns (and indeed Dominoes and Pizza Hut) have all been working on perfecting their vegan options. Papa John's though have a constantly evolving vegan menu that includes:
Note: nutritional data varies depending on crust, slices etc.
- Vegan Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza
- Vegan Garden Party
- Vegan Cheese and Tomato
- Jackfruit Pepperoni
- The Vegan Works
- The Stinger
- Vegan Chilli Freak
- Cauliflower Wings 300kcals (these are also gluten free)
- Vegan Cheese Potato Tots (also available with jalapeno) 537kcals
- "Not Chicken" Vegan Bites 360kcals
- Vegan Cheese and Marmite Scrolls 450kcals
- Cheesy Chilli Bites (my local store doesn't stock these yet) 415kcals
- Cinnamon Scrolls 293kcals per serving (4 scrolls)
- Various Ben and Jerrys Ice Creams
Check out my other vegan guides here:
- Guide to vegan food and drink at Costa Coffee
- Guide to vegan food and drink at Starbucks UK
- I tried the top UK supermarket Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 5 Amazing Places to get vegan food at Camden Market
- 5 Amazing Places to get vegan food at Borough Market
- 5 Amazing Places to get vegan food at Brick Lane