A complete guide to vegan food and drink options at UK branches of Starbucks
Updated Oct 23
I think Starbucks might have been the first big coffee shop I had heard of, although it was Costa that first took over my local high street (and most of the UK).
I have always been a little anti-Starbucks because I used to work for Costa Coffee, but recently I am being slowly converted. There was a few issues with Costa’s allergen in-store procedures not being followed as they should. Whilst Starbucks are not perfect, the label printing system that they have avoids such mistakes, and makes it easier for the barista.
It’s really important to remember that if you’re unsure what is vegan, just to ask your barista: they are trained intensively to know exactly what you are after and give you coffee advice.
Note: most of the Frappuccinos and festive drinks come with whipped cream. Make sure to ask for the drink to be served without whipped cream OR with the vegan soy whipped cream.
Table of Contents
What Coffees and Hot Chocolate are Vegan at Starbucks?
The following Starbucks coffees can be veganised, just ask for your preference of milk:
- Flat White
- Cafe Americano
- Caffe Latte
- Caffe Mocha (make sure to ask for it with the vegan whipped cream)
- Caffe Misto
- Salted Maple Caramel Latte (if made with non-dairy milk)
- Dark Cocoa and Orange Oat Latte (not currently available)
- Blonde Espresso (a lighter roast of coffee)
- Espresso Macchiato
- Latte Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato the caramel topping has dairy in it, request it without the caramel sauce and milk of your preference to make it vegan (although it is just a vanilla macchiato at this point).
- Caramelised Macadamia Oat Latte (new Jan 23 drink)
- Filter Coffee
- Classic Hot Chocolate, without cream or with vegan whipped cream topping
- Fudge Brownie Hot Chocolate, without the chocolate whipped cream and fudge sprinkles (both contain milk)
- Berry Hot Chocolate (if served without dairy foam topping)
More Vegan Roundup Guides!
I love to share recipes from my fellow plant-based food bloggers and here are some of my latest roundup posts!
Is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte vegan?
Yes, it is, if made with dairy-free milk and without the whipped cream topping (although you can enjoy the vegan whipped cream topping). Note: this is for UK Starbucks.
What Plant Based Milks are available at Starbucks?
- Oat (gluten free)
- Original Nut Blend
What Syrups and Speciality Flavours are Vegan at Starbucks?
- Vanilla Syrup
- Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup
- Caramel Syrup
- Sugar-Free Caramel Syrup
- Hazelnut Syrup
- Sugar-Free Hazelnut Syrup
- Almond Syrup
- Gingerbread (may be seasonal)
- Mocha Drizzle
- Pumpkin Spice Sauce (seasonal)
- Salted Maple Caramel
Currently, Starbucks are expanding their vegan drinks choice with their Original Nut Blend.
What Non-Coffee Hot Drinks are Vegan at Starbucks?
So what can you drink at Starbucks if you don’t like coffee?
- All the Tea and Tea Infusions
- Matcha Tea Latte
- Classic Chai Tea Latte BUT make sure that it is made using the Teavana brewed tea, and not their syrup, which is sweetened with honey.
Is Starbucks Hot Chocolate Vegan?
Yes, it is and they also do a vegan Soya whipped cream topping
What Cold Iced Drinks are Vegan at Starbucks?
- Iced Black Tea and Lemonade
- Iced Green Tea and Lemonade
- All the Iced Teas and Iced Infusions
- Iced Caffe Latte
- Iced Blonde Latte
- Iced Brown Sugar Oak Shaken Espresso, made with oat milk
- Iced Cappuccino (served without dairy foam)
- Iced Matcha Tea Latte
- Iced Chai Tea Latte
- Cold Brew Latte (make sure to ask for no dairy foam)
- Vanilla Cold Brew Latte (make sure to ask for no dairy foam)
- Nitro Cold Brew
- Iced Caffe Americano
- Iced Caffe Mocha
- Cool Lime Refresha Drink
- Strawberry Acai Refresha Drink
- Pink Coconut Refresha Drink
- Coffee Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Caramel Frappuccino (ask for it without the caramel drizzle and with vegan whipped topping)
- Mocha Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Espresso Frappuccino
- Java Chip Frappuccino – ask for it without the java chips which are not vegan (thanks to Ro for pointing this out) and dairy-free milk/topping
- Vanilla Cream Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Double Choc Chip Cream Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Chocolate Cream Frappuccino (ask for it with vegan whipped topping)
- Matcha Tea and Chai Tea Cream Frappuccinos (ask for them with vegan whipped topping)
What Food is Vegan at Starbucks?
Starbucks are constantly improving their plant based options particularly their breakfast options, but it does depend on what store you visit. I would recommend that if you want to visit a specific store for a cake and a coffee, give them a call first to make sure that they have some vegan options for you.
- Coconut and Lime Cake
- Brunch Burrito
- Beyond Meat Breakfast Sandwich
- Fiery No’Chicken Wrap
- Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Seed Fritter Wrap
- Spinach and Pea Falafel Wrap
- Tu-Nah Sandwich
- Five Grain Oatmeal
- Dark Chocolate Bar
- Pumpkin Spice Cookie
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Banana Caramel Muffin
- Peach and Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Raspberry & Almond Mini Loaf Cake