Not sure what to choose at UK coffee chain Caffè Nero? Read on for my full guide on what’s vegan and what’s not at one of the UKs most popular coffee shops!
Caffe Nero is a UK coffee chain that, along with Starbucks, Pret and Costa is one of the most popular on the British high street. To me, their unique selling point is their cosy coffeehouses, which seem reminiscent of 90s American style coffee shops (think Central Perk).
Table of Contents
A Short History of Caffè Nero
Caffe Nero was founded in 1997 when American businessman, Gerry Ford, purchased 5 coffee shops in South Kensington, London. Since then, they have expanded to over 1000 stores throughout the UK, Europe and the United States.
Their in-store coffee shops are cosy, and warm, with leather seats and wood interiors, in contrast to the more modern Starbucks or Costa coffeeshops. Whilst Caffe Nero do not make my favourite coffee, I do love the ambience of their stores and feel that they have spent a lot of time to make them feel welcoming, a place to spend time sipping coffee and enjoying a pastry, rather than the hustle-bustle, clinical layout of the bigger chain coffee shops.
As one of the UK’s larger coffee chains, do Caffe Nero offer good vegan options?
More Vegan Roundup Guides!
I love to share recipes from my fellow plant-based food bloggers and here are some of my latest roundup posts!
What Coffees are Vegan at Caffè Nero?
Note: you can also add soya milk to the black coffee or Espresso, but this is the only milk alternative they currently offer.
- Flat White
- Caramelatte if made with plant-based milk and their creamy vegan topping
What Plant Based Milks are available at Caffè Nero?
- Soya Milk
- Coconut Milk
- Oat Milk
What Syrups are Vegan at Caffè Nero?
- Pumpkin Spice
- Pistachio and Salted Caramel
- Caramel Sauce
What Non-Coffee Hot Drinks are Vegan at Caffè Nero?
So what can you drink at Caffe Nero if you don’t like coffee?
- Tea (ask for Soya milk)
- Herbals Teas
- Chai Latte if made with plant-based milk
- Hot chocolate, if made with plant-based milk, creamy topping and vegan marshmallows
Is Caffè Nero Hot Chocolate Vegan?
Caffe Nero’s Hot Chocolate is vegan if made with plant-based milk and, if wanted, plant-based creamy topping
What Cold Iced Drinks are Vegan at Caffè Nero?
- Tropical Fro-Yo Frappe if made with plant-based milk
- Iced Latte – made with plant-based milk and (optional) syrup of your choice
- Pistachio Iced Latte
- Amaretto Iced Latte – made with plant-based milk and without mini biscotti sprinkles
- Iced Cappuccino
- Frappe Latte if made with plant-based milk
- Mocha Frappe
- Iced Flat White
- Iced Americano
- Coconut Caramel Iced Latte
- Cherry Iced Latte
- Strawberry/Vanilla/Chocolate Milkshakes – if made with plant-based milk
- Mango and Passionfruit Booster
- Italian Peach & Strawberry Fruit Booster
- Sicilian Lemonade
Vegan Breakfast Items at Caffè Nero
- Mango & Passionfruit Bircher
- THIS Plant Based ‘Sausage’ Ciabatta
- Porridge made with plant-based milk
Vegan Sandwiches at Caffè Nero
- Plant Based “Chicken” Arrabiata Panini
Do Caffè Nero offer Vegan Pastries?
- Yes, they offer a vegan raspberry croissant.
Other Vegan Food Options at Caffè Nero
- Plant Based Vegetable ‘Sausage’ Roll
- Tomato & Basil Soup
- Sourdough Bread Roll
Sweet Vegan Treats at Caffè Nero
Note that some of these items are “accidentally vegan” which means that they are not suitable for people with milk or egg allergens due to the processing of the items but do not list eggs or dairy in the ingredients.
- Salted Caramel & Chocolate Vegan Cheesecake
- Plant Based Chocolate & Caramelised Biscuit Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Oat & Cranberry Cookie
- Gianduja Chocolate
- Vegan Marshmallows
- Granola Flapjack
- Fruited Teacake
- Vegan Fruit Flapjack (impulse item)
- Vegan Stem Ginger Biscuit (impulse item)
- Vegan & Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie (impulse item)
Updated Oct’ 23