Vegan overnight oats. Overnight oats are a great make ahead breakfast and a quick way to ensure that you have a delicious healthy meal waiting for you in the morning.
If you make them in a jam-jar or Kilner Jar, you can make them, screw the lid on and take them to work for an on-the-go breakfast! I love to just make them on a Sunday Night, leisurely, knowing that when I wake up, inevitably grumpy and lazy on a Monday morning, that at least I'll have something to eat that might make me feel a little better! This is a perfect nutritious breakfast for those busy mornings when you just don't have time to think about food!
In the morning, your oats will have absorbed all the liquid and be creamy and delicious!
Plain old oatmeal can be boring so try layering it up! Peanut Butter, bananas, lovely, sweet raspberries or strawberries. Or how about jam? Granola or your favourite cereal will add a delicious crunch!
What kind of oats can I use for Overnight Oats?
You can use whatever oats you want, quick oats, easy-cook, rolled, Scottish wholegrain, steel cut oats, gluten-free oats. Remember though, that the chunkier and coarser the oats, the more liquid you may need to add, and they will be a chewier, less creamy oat.
- Oats. See my notes above for what kind to use. Note: My recipe is for a single serve portion, just double up to suit.
- Water or milk. Water is my preference, simply because I find it cheaper and easier. Once oats are added to liquid, they have a natural creamy texture, so I don't find you need to add milk. Milk does add an additional richness to them though. You could use almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk, or your favorite non-dairy milk! You can also use fruit juice, I love to use freshly squeezed orange with water.
- Sweetener. Now this could pure maple syrup, brown sugar, stevia, a spoonful of jam or preserves. You might prefer to omit the sweetener altogether and just add some chopped fresh fruit in the morning.
- Pinch of sea salt. I find that salt really enhances the taste of oatmeal so much.
Overnight Oats Easy Ideas
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Hazelnut Butter
- Any nutty butter
- Any berries
- Quinoa Pops
- Rice Krispies
- Dried Fruit
- Chia Seeds
They certainly can be if you use your own favourite brand of GF oats. You could alternatively use buckwheat flakes instead of oats.
Try my other delicious vegan breakfast ideas
- The most delicious Tiramisu Pancake Recipe
- Basic but best oatmeal recipe
- The easiest vegan Pancake Recipe ever!
- Easy Chia Pudding
- The Fluffiest Vegan Waffles
- Apple Pie Oatmeal
- Easy Muesli
Easy Overnight Oats Recipe
- Lidded Jar
- ¼ cup Whole Oats
- ½ cup Milk plant based of your choice
- Sweetener of your choice, sugar, agave syrup, raisins, etc.
- pinch Sea Salt
- Toppings (see list for suggestions)
- Place your oats, milk, pinch of salt and sweetener into your prepared jar or bowl
- Refrigerate and leave overnight
- The next morning, remove from fridge and add your toppings of choice!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
I didn’t realize I could do this overnight, that’s why mine never turns out well! Thanks for this tip!
Lizet Bowen says
I love the flavors in this recipe! my kids and I are having fun putting them together. Great quick breakfast for our family.
Such a great idea for a healthy and easy breakfast!
Making a breakfast the night before is the ultimate life hack! Can’t wait to try!!
Jessica Formicola says
Overnight oats are my favorite, and I'm so glad to have found a vegan recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!
I love overnight oats for their convenience in the morning. This recipe is delicious!
Andréa Janssen says
This recipe is great! I love overnight oats as a breakfast!
Emily Flint says
Overnight oats are the best invention ever! These look so good!
Making breakfast the night before is a game changer! Love how fun this can be with all of the different toppings!
Love overnight oats! This looks delicious!
Love this recipe! Overnight oats are the best!
Such a healthy and nutritious breakfast recipe, love this!
Thanks for sharing this, the family loved it!!