Easy vegan chia pudding recipe. If you're here looking for the world's most simple breakfast, look no further. Chia seeds stirred into plant-based milk with some sweetener is possibly the most implausibly delicious breakfast ever!
Chia Seeds are all the rage, daahhling, these days. Little wonder, they are quite the little powerhouse and versatile too. Great sprinkled on salads, they have a similar texture to poppy seeds with a delightful nutty flavor.
Try my other awesome vegan breakfast ideas
- My delicious and simple Tiramisu Pancakes
- Peanut Butter and Banana Pancakes
- Gluten-Free and Vegan Granola
- Vegan Black Forest Protein Smoothie
- 25 Awesome Breakfast Ideas
But mixing chia seeds with liquid is when you get to see what the Chia Seed can do. You see, the Chia Seed, when wet, is inclined to become mucilaginous. That's not a very nice word, is it? But to vegans who need replacement thickeners or egg substitutes, this is a very handy property indeed.
What are Chia Seeds?
What of the health benefits? Chia (or Salvia Hispanica, so named because of the region it grows in) means "oily" in Nahuatl, but this is really an understatement. Chia Seeds are high in essential fatty acids and Omega 3 and 6, which is fantastic for vegans as we no longer eat fish. Omega 6 is great for a healthy heart.
Studies are currently being conducted using Chia as a way of controlling blood sugar, they are high in fibre and full of minerals that may be missing in a vegan's daily diet.
How to Serve Chia Seeds
So, that should be reason enough to think about adding Chia to your daily diet but how do you eat them? I stir them into my morning oatmeal, or blend them into a smoothie. I've also sprinkled them on avocado toast. My favourite way to eat them though is to make a Chia Pudding. There are so many ways to serve it, but we think it's best with some coconut milk, desiccated coconut and a dash of pure maple syrup and then top it with your favourite smoothie.
Oh, and it's a breeze to make; you just require an element of patience. It needs to thicken overnight in the fridge. Note: just for fun I added a little food colouring to make them look cool! This is optional and adds no nutritional content, but does feed the eyes!
Ingredients for the base recipe.
- Chia Seeds, of course! You can use as many tablespoons of chia seeds for as many servings as you need. You can use white chia seeds or black chia seeds.
- Sweetener of choice. You could use maple syrup, date syrup or rely on the natural sweetness of some fruit.
- Plant milks. sweetened or unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, coconut milk: whatever your preference, these all work perfectly with these tiny seeds!
- Flavourings. This is where it gets fun! Add a topping of crunchy granola, some vegan Greek yogurt or thick, creamy coconut yogurt, vanilla extract (I recommend this), coconut flakes, your favorite fruit, and even some cacao nibs! I also love to stir in a dollop of peanut butter.
My simple chia pudding recipe is the perfect make ahead breakfast, you can use your favorite type of milk, and if you want a thicker pudding, add a few more seeds.
Let's Make Delicious Vegan Chia Pudding!
- In a small mason jar, add your chia seeds.
- Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder if you want to make chocolate chia pudding. You could add a tablespoon of vegan protein powder too.
- Add your favourite non-dairy milk, a pinch of sea salt and your sweetener.
- Whisk well until everything is combined.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours, whisking it occasionally.
- You will see that the seeds start to thicken the milk and become the consistency of creamy pudding.
- These are the basic ingredients a simple chia pudding.
- You can leave it overnight and the next day, give it a good stir and then add your toppings!
You have made creamy chia pudding and discovered the easiest, most delicious breakfast!
One Step Chia Pudding
- ½ cup Soy milk or fresh coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Maple Syrup or you can omit the sweetener altogether
- Pinch Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a small jar or vessel of your choice, whisk together all the ingredients for the Chia Pudding and refrigerate.
- If you use a jar with a lid, you can give the jar a good shake every so often. If not, just give it a vigorous whisk every so often.
- This helps the seeds to release their unique texture.
- Leave overnight or several hours.
- When ready to serve, top with granola, chopped fruit, yogurt, dessicated coconut, seeds: the options are limitless!
This looks amazing!
Jahma Levi says
Love chia and this recipe looks great, thanks!
Stunning! Love how simple this is!
Love chia seeds! Thanks for the recipe !
Yesss! Love this! Looks good! Can’t wait to try it
Love this recipe, can’t wait to try!
So quick and easy and I love all the benefits of chia seeds!
Such an easy recipe, I love that chia seeds offer so many flavour combinations!
Kelly Bolen says
I love chia seeds and these look fabulous!!!! Yummy all the way!
Hanaa Malik says
These look so good - will definitely be trying!
Love Chia Pudding. They are so effortless and yet so beautiful and tasty to make
I've never had Chia Pudding. Your pictures look so good, I'll have to make some.
Kirby Jeanne says
I love chia seeds, especially chia pudding 😀
Ashley Leach says
I used to put chia seeds in my oatmeal but haven't done that in a while. I have never tried chia pudding but this looks amazing.
I love chia. I make something similar to that.
Yum, this sounds so good! I can't wait to try it!
My cousin soaks chia seeds overnight and just drinks it like a tea with breakfast -- and swears by it! This looks much more appealing to me, though. Could I soak them in juice...like pomegranate or açaí?
Hi Linda! Yes, you can soak them in any liquid you like, it would be a bit like a bubble tea drink! I think a fruit tea would be really good too!
I've been talking about trying chia pudding for MONTHS now but never have. I think you just convinced me!?
Thanks so much for sharing!
I love chia pudding. These look great
Yum! Definitely going to give these a try.
Felica Leija says
Does sweeterthanoats.com stand out online with GREAT Trustpilot reviews?
"84% Of People Trust Online Reviews As Much As A Personal Recommendation"
We provide custom 5 star Custom Trustpilot reviews for your business
Just tell us what you want your reviews to say and we post them!
Check out our examples and get in touch here
We have helped hundreds of business get a BIG advantage online with our reviews
If you are already crushing your competiton with multiple great Trustpilot reviews
have a great day 🙂
Charlie Cabbage says
Delicious recipe, thank you!
I love how you added chia seeds on the pudding. What a perfect combination, I can't wait to try this. Thanks!:)
I definitely love this and I will make it much more often!
What a beautiful breakfast. SO healthy and delicious. I will give your chia pudding recipe a try. Love chia!
Megan Ellam says
Love love LOVE this recipe! So easy and my kind of meal for any time of the day.
Kayla DiMaggio says
It really can't get any easier than one step! I love how delicious this turned out, so full of flavor and chia seeds are my favorite!
Would love to give it a try. Thanks for ideas to healthy eating.
My friend told me to try Chia Seeds because they are incredibly healthy. I stumbled upon this recipe, and it was delicious! We used almond milk and maple syrup for the sweetener, and the kids asked for seconds! Thank you for introducing me to Chia Seeds
What a great, healthy treat! This looks like a fun way to get some nutrients into my kiddos. Chia Seeds are so interesting and I never think to cook with them. Can't wait to try. Thanks!
I absolutely LOVE chia pudding for breakfast in the morning. This one is filling but so-so tasty too. Definitely a repeat recipe.
I love a good chia pudding for dessert. Your recipe was so easy to follow and incredibly delicious. Thanks
I love chia pudding and I'm so glad I found your recipe! It's such an easy breakfast treat that's healthy!
Raksha Kamat says
This chia seed pudding turned delicious. I made it with some chocolate powder. Having it everyday for breakfast due to the numerous health benefits of chia seeds.
I love a good, healthy snack. I appreciate how versatile this recipe is! SO many variations, which makes it so easy!
I finally found a Chia seed recipe I like. Thank you, I used cashew milk and my homemade vanilla. A winning treat I will make again.
Jacqueline Debono says
Chia pudding is a new discovery for me! I topped it with muesli and yogurt. Really enjoyed it. Now I'm going to try with other toppings!