Love them or hate them, Brussels Sprouts appear on every dining table on Christmas Day. My braised Brussels with Chestnuts might (but no guarantees) convert the sprout hater and if not...more for the cook!
PIN my braised Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts to make later
I love sprouts with Sunday roasts anytime of the year, and you can buy them frozen now, so that you can enjoy them in the summer. However, they are most traditionally served during the festive season.
If you are looking for more vegan side dishes this season, try my roundup post here of ALL my festive recipes, or perhaps you might like to give my delicious sweet and sour red cabbage a try. And if you love sprouts, you might be intrigued to try sprout tops!
This is a classic way to cook sprouts and will satisfy the sproutys at the dining table. I prefer my sprouts cooked a little more on the tender side, and if you're like me, you might want to add a little more stock to the pan and braise for a little longer.
I also like to replace the chestnuts with pecans or walnuts too. I simply toast them in the oven for a couple of minutes before following the recipe below.
I find that using some vegetable stock to braise the sprouts in gives them so much more flavour, but you can just use water.
- brussels sprouts
- cooked chestnuts
- vegetable stock
- vegan butter
See recipe card for quantities.
Fry the chestnuts in a little melted vegan butter until they start to colour a little
Then add the peeled sprouts and coat in the buttery mixture
Add seasoning and stock and braise until tender
Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley and serve!
Hint: I like to make a batch of these braised brussels sprouts with chestnuts in advance and freeze them in anticipation for Christmas!
- Chestnuts - you could use pecan or walnuts instead
- Dried Cranberries - I also love to throw in a few dried cranberries for a really festive flavour, I do this when I add the sprouts.
Cool and then refrigerate for 3-4 days. Reheat by putting them back in the frying pan or skillet for a a couple of minutes to warm through.
Once cooked and cooled, bag them in a freezer proof Ziplock and freeze for when you next need them!
Vegan Braised Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
- 250 g Sprouts this works out at 6 sprouts per person, for 4 people, adjust this as you want
- 80 g Chestnuts cooked
- 300 ml Vegetable stock or water
- 1 teaspoon Butter vegan
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley to garnish, optional
- Heat the butter in a heavy bottomed frying pan and add the cooked chestnuts. Fry them for a minute or so to give them a little toasty colour.
- Now throw in the raw sprouts and coat them in this mixture.
- Add the stock and some salt and pepper and bring up to gently simmer.
- Uncovered, cook the sprouts until all the water has evaporated. You may want to add a little more water if you like your sprouts a little more tender.
- Taste for seasoning, sprinkle with a little chopped parsley and serve!
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!