The best vegan Baked Potato Soup recipe. There is NO food that is more comforting than a piping hot baked potato, dripping with vegan butter, melty (vegan) cheese and baked beans. Or perhaps you prefer yours fully loaded: spring onion, sour cream, bacon bits. The works.
A baked potato ALWAYS satisfies a craving for something that tastes like home. It is the plainest, simplest dish yet always tastes so good.
Until I visited America, I had no idea that some evil genius had turned my favourite sort-of convenience (if an hour in the oven is convenient) into a soup. And was that soup the best thing I have EVER tasted. It was creamy, comforting and had all the flavour of a baked potato, but in a soup? What an amazing idea! I loved Panera Bread, and all the delicious soups and breads, but sadly, they were not vegan.
I have slowly realised that my old favourites (you know, the ones loaded with non-animal friendly products like butter, cheese, bacon) aren’t to be relegated to the back of my memory, like an old-fashioned sweater or embarrassing family member. They CAN be recreated and, because of the plant-based ingredients, they are no longer stodgy and give you stomach ache, high cholesterol and/or weight gain: they taste lighter, more modern. More delicious. Here then is my easy and the best vegan baked potato soup recipe.
- Large Pan
- 500 g Baked Potato, diced
- 200 g Diced Onion
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil or vegetable oil of your preference
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour (you can use Gluten-Free)
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 500 ml Water
- 30 g Tapioca Starch or Cornflour
- 130 g Instant Mashed Potato powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 240 ml Vegan Sour Cream or Double Cream or Creme Fraiche Tofutti or Oatly are both great
- Fixings for the top: spring onions, tempeh crumbles, more sour cream
- Bake your potatoes. Dice and put to one side.
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan.Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour and mix until a roux has formed. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, to get rid of that floury taste.
- Add the stock, water, tapioca starch and instant mashed potato and simmer for 10minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Carefully stir in the diced baked potato, add the fresh Thyme and season to taste.Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thick cream. Taste once more for seasoning and serve, topped with your favourite baked potato fixins!
If you loved this recipe, try my other delicious vegan soups:
- My spicy green chili soup with hominy
- Yummy Parsnip Soup with Parsnip Crisps
- Italian Classic, Ribollita Soup
- Refreshing Gazpacho Soup