Vegan Baked Potato Soup, a huge hug in a bowl, full of comforting flavors and a creamy texture, perfect for cold nights
Pin my Vegan Baked Potato Soup to make later!
Try my other delicious vegan soups
- My spicy green chili soup with hominy
- Classic and simple Pan Haggerty
- Yummy Parsnip Soup with Parsnip Crisps
- Italian Classic, Ribollita Soup
- Refreshing Gazpacho Soup
- Nourishing Hot and Sour Soup
There is NO food that is more comforting than a piping hot baked potato, dripping with vegan butter, melty vegan cheddar cheese and baked beans. Or perhaps you prefer a fully loaded baked potato soup with all your favorite toppings: green onions, vegan sour cream, tempeh bacon bits. The works. A warm bowl of soup is like a hug in a soup form.
A baked potato ALWAYS satisfies a craving for something that tastes like home. It is the plainest, simplest dish yet always tastes so good.
Until I visited America, I had no idea that some evil genius had turned my favourite sort-of convenience (if an hour in the oven is convenient) into a soup. The first time I tried it? That soup the best thing I have EVER tasted. It was creamy, comforting and had all the flavour of a baked potato, but in a soup? What an amazing idea! I loved Panera Bread, and all the delicious soups and breads, but sadly, they were not vegan.
I have slowly realised that my old favourites (you know, the ones loaded with non-animal friendly products like butter, cheese, bacon) aren't to be relegated to the back of my memory, like an old-fashioned sweater or embarrassing family member. They CAN be recreated and, because of the plant-based ingredients, they are no longer stodgy and give you stomach ache, high cholesterol and/or weight gain: they taste lighter, more modern. More delicious. Here then is my easy and best vegan baked potato soup recipe, perfect for cold rainy days.
- Potatoes. I prefer red potatoes, like russet potatoes. I also like to use little potatoes too. You need the kind of potatoes that aren't too floury though and won't disintegrate in the soup. You can also use leftover baked potatoes.
- Onion, diced.
- Plain flour or all purpose flour. You can also use gluten free flour.
- Vegetable Stock
- Hot water
- Tapioca Starch or Cornflour (corn starch)
- Instant Mashed Potato, this adds to the potato flavor and thickens the soup deliciously.
- Fresh Thyme. Fresh herbs make everything taste better.
- Black pepper.
- Sea Salt
- Vegan heavy cream or vegan sour cream. You can also use oat milk, almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk or any unsweetened plant based milk.
(This is ONLY a list of ingredients for the recipe; please see recipe card below for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Bake your potatoes. Dice and put to one side. I bake mine either in the Air Fryer, according to manufacturers instructions, or in the oven, at 200c. I can't be specific with times as it depends on the size of the potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion until soft and translucent. Add the flour and mix to make a roux. This will help to gently thicken your soup.
- Add the veggie broth, water, tapioca starch and instant mashed potato and simmer for 10minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Carefully stir in the baked potato chunks, add the fresh thyme and season to taste.
- Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thick cream. If you prefer, you can stir in some cashew milk or any unsweetened plant based milk.
- Taste once more for seasoning and serve, topped with your favourite baked potato fixins!
- I love to serve this creamy vegan potato soup in a deep bowl, topped with vegan bacon bits (I love tempeh or coconut bacon), chopped fresh chives or spring onions, vegan sour cream and some shredded vegan cheese.
This delicious soup tastes great the next day too, just make sure to cool completely before refrigerating.
Vegan Baked Potato Soup
- Large Pan
- 500 g Potato baked and diced
- 200 g Onion diced
- 2 tablespoon Canola Oil or vegetable oil of your preference
- 2 tablespoon Plain Flour (you can use Gluten-Free)
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 500 ml Water
- 30 g Tapioca Starch or Cornflour
- 130 g Instant Mashed Potato
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 240 ml Sour Cream vegan, Tofutti or Oatly are both great
- Fixings for the top: spring onions, tempeh crumbles, more sour cream
- Bake your potatoes. Dice and put to one side.
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan.Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour and mix until a roux has formed. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, to get rid of that floury taste.
- Add the stock, water, tapioca starch and instant mashed potato and simmer for 10minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Carefully stir in the diced baked potato, add the fresh Thyme and season to taste.Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thick cream. Taste once more for seasoning and serve, topped with your favourite baked potato fixins!
Andrea White says
This soup looks amazing!
This soup looks so so good! I love soup all year round, so I'll give it a try soon!