Vegan Vichy carrots recipe. I love carrots. They are one of my favourite vegetables. Aside from the not so humble potato (the absolute jewel in any vegetable crown), carrots come a close second to being my favourite veg.
Sure, I like parsnips and cabbage and sprouts. Cabbage is versatile, and underrated, when roasted or braised, it becomes like a golden nectar. Parsnips too, if you find them at the right time of the year (after the first frost, preferably), then they are sweet, and sticky and full of flavour when roasted (or try them in my delicious spiced parsnip soup).
Vichy carrots are one of the finest and simplest ways to serve carrots. Simmered in a luxurious bath of brown sugar and vegan butter, then dressed with a sprinkling of finely chopped parsley. The sugar enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots exquisitely.
They can be prepared in advance, but they cook so quickly and simply that you don't really need to worry about them.
Try these other delicious vegan sides
- Roasted Carrots with Labneh
- An easy Broad Bean and Pea Pesto
- Spicy Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- Vegan Mushy Peas
Easy Vichy Carrots
- 200 g Carrots small, peeled, chantenay are great
- 20 g Butter plant-based, your favourite brand
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 teaspoon Parsley fresh, finely chopped
- Add all of the ingredients, excluding the parsley, into a saucepan, so that the carrots fit snuggly.
- Add enough water to the pan to ensure that the carrots are just covered.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Turn the heat up to a brisk simmer, stirring frequently, to produce a sticky sweet coating for the carrots, another couple of minutes. Do not let burn!
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Nutritional Information Disclaimer
The automated nutritional information on my recipes can often be inaccurate due to the limitations within the programming. For exact measurements, there are lots of apps and websites that can calculate this information more accurately.
Such an easy, comfy side. Thank you!