Sweet potato salad recipe. I admit it, I am not the biggest lover of salads. I find the salad course a bit bemusing, and I blame my carb-loving family for that. Even if we had a salad in the summer, it would comprise of lots of bread, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, boiled eggs and maybe a garnish of limp lettuce.
Of course, nowadays, I have to find substitutions for the cheese/egg/pork pie elements of those 1980s salads. I still need carbs in a salad. If you were to slice me like a stick of rock, I would be marked through to the core with "powered by carbs". "If you prick me, do I not bleed carbs?" etc.
And so, during those sweltering summer months where you only want light foods, but you still want to feel satisfied, I like to mix things up a little bit by sautéing cubes of sweet potatoes (or you can certainly roast them), and then add some interest to the flavours with a sweet and tart marmalade dressing.
I also add segments of fresh orange, some toasted pumpkin seeds, and, if I can find it, vegan Greek-style feta cheese. What I love about this salad is how gentle it is, how forgiving of substitutions or alterations or omissions. The marmalade dressing seems to love all salad type ingredients, and everything hangs deliciously from that sticky citrus coating.
How to you make Roast Sweet Potato Cubes?
Really easy! Simply peel the sweet potato, cut into cubes about the size of a dice, and fry in a little olive oil. I like to add seasoning in addition to salt and pepper, like some paprika, or cumin. They're really good drizzled with a little maple syrup too, to bring out the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes!
If you prefer, feel free to bake the in the oven, about 180c until tender. Spray them with a little spray oil first, and add a little seasoning.
- Butternut Squash instead of Sweet Potato
- Vegan Goats or Feta-style Cheese sprinkled over
- Normal Orange instead of Blood Orange
- Croutons instead of Pumpkin Seeds (you need to add a little crunch!)
- Use your own favourite salad dressing
- Use whichever marmalade brand you like, whether it has peel or is smooth, reduced sugar, or extra tangy! I love any from the Wilkins Tiptree range!
More amazing vegan salad inspiration:
Warm Sweet Potato Salad with Marmalade Dressing
- 2 cups Sweet Potato peeled and diced
- 250 g Mixed Leaves salad leaves of your choice
- 2 tablespoon Pumpkin Seeds toasted
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Blood Orange segmented
- ¼ Red Onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Marmalade
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Blood Orange juice only
- Shallot finely chopped
Roast the Sweet Potato
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan or skillet and gently fry the sweet potato cubes until golden brown and soft, about 10-15 minutes. Season and set to one side.
To make the Marmalade Dressing
- Place all in ingredients in a jar and shake well to amalgamate. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes for the flavours to mingle.
- Whilst the sweet potato is cooking, dress the salad leaves with the dressing (a couple of tablespoons), and place on your serving dish, or bowls.
- Layer with chopped tomato and red onion.
- Sprinkle over the warm sweet potato cubes.
- Sprinkle over toasted Pumpkin Seeds.
- Drizzle a little more dressing over if wanted.