Sweet potato salad recipe, cubes of roasted sweet potatoes mixed with crunchy pumpkin seeds, chunks of vegan feta and a tangy marmalade dressing!
I love to serve this salad on a warm summers day with my creamy vegan pasta salad and my simple caprese salad.
I admit it, I am not the biggest lover of salads. I find the salad course a bit bemusing, and I blame my carb-loving family for that. Even if we had a salad in the summer, it would comprise of lots of bread, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, boiled eggs and maybe a garnish of limp lettuce.
And so, during those sweltering summer months where you only want light foods, but you still want to feel satisfied, I like to mix things up a little bit by sautéing cubes of sweet potatoes (or you can certainly roast them), and then add some interest to the flavours with a sweet and tart marmalade dressing.
I also add segments of fresh orange, some toasted pumpkin seeds, and, if I can find it, vegan Greek-style feta cheese. What I love about this salad is how gentle it is, how forgiving of substitutions or alterations or omissions. The marmalade dressing seems to love all salad type ingredients, and everything hangs deliciously from that sticky citrus coating.
How to you make Roast Sweet Potato Cubes?
Really easy! Simply peel the sweet potato, cut into cubes about the size of a dice, and fry in a little olive oil. I like to add seasoning in addition to salt and pepper, like some paprika, or cumin. They're really good drizzled with a little maple syrup too, to bring out the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes!
If you prefer, feel free to bake the in the oven, about 180c until tender. Spray them with a little spray oil first, and add a little seasoning.
- Butternut Squash instead of Sweet Potato
- Vegan Goats or Feta-style Cheese sprinkled over
- Normal Orange instead of Blood Orange
- Croutons instead of Pumpkin Seeds (you need to add a little crunch!)
- Use your own favourite salad dressing
- Use whichever marmalade brand you like, whether it has peel or is smooth, reduced sugar, or extra tangy! I love any from the Wilkins Tiptree range!
More amazing vegan salad inspiration:
Warm Sweet Potato Salad with Marmalade Dressing
- 2 cups Sweet Potato peeled and diced
- 250 g Mixed Leaves salad leaves of your choice
- 2 tablespoon Pumpkin Seeds toasted
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Blood Orange segmented
- ¼ Red Onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Marmalade
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Blood Orange juice only
- Shallot finely chopped
Roast the Sweet Potato
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan or skillet and gently fry the sweet potato cubes until golden brown and soft, about 10-15 minutes. Season and set to one side.
To make the Marmalade Dressing
- Place all in ingredients in a jar and shake well to amalgamate. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes for the flavours to mingle.
- Whilst the sweet potato is cooking, dress the salad leaves with the dressing (a couple of tablespoons), and place on your serving dish, or bowls.
- Layer with chopped tomato and red onion.
- Sprinkle over the warm sweet potato cubes.
- Sprinkle over toasted Pumpkin Seeds.
- Drizzle a little more dressing over if wanted.
Wow! This Sweet potato salad recipe is so irresistible! makes me want to finish the whole bowl because I know it's delicious and nutritious at the same time. This salad is perfect for our family picnics. Thanks much!:)
Sweet potato is one of my favourite foods so this salad is perfect. The marmalade dressing is absolutely delicious and compliments the sweet potato so well.
What a delightful combination of flavors! Sounds wonderful! I especially like the pairing of red onion and blood oranges!
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/ says
The dressing sound amazing and I love sweet potatoes, so this salad is on the dinners list for this week!
I loved this sweet potato recipe! Such a great pairing with the blood oranges and marmalade dressing!
Amy Liu Dong says
I love everything on this bowl. So easy, delicious, and healthy!
I will def make this, thank you!
This is so good and easy to make!
That marmalade dressing is so good!
What a clever dressing! I love the addition of marmalade!
What a delicious way to enjoy sweet potatoes. Love the sound of this recipe. I am going to add them to my grocery list and give this a try.
Now this is a salad for a non salad lover! My husband loved it. Great great recipe.
Wow, this sounds delicious! I love all of the colors in this salad too! Looks very refreshing!
I'm with you. I come from good carb loving farmer folk and salads are usually an after thought. Adding carbs like roasted sweet potatoes makes it more of a substantial meal. Also cheese, vegan or otherwise.
This is the perfect Spring salad! The marmalade dressing pairs so well with all of the flavors. Such a great combination and love this salad for any day of the week!
Healing Tomato says
I am really glad I came across your recipe. Your marmalade dressing was out-of-this-world delicious! It was perfect on this salad and I can see so many uses for it.
Enriqueta E Lemoine says
I made this and used homemade guava marmalade. Delicious. I can't wait until I make it again! Thanks for the recipe idea.
I love making salads so much and I cant wait to make this as i havent made a potato salad in quite some time! Thank you for sharing this recipe, It looks super delicious!
Hayley Dhanecha says
I love everything in this recipe, so happy to say that I saw this recipe and made instant decision to make it. I used Orange marmalade for the dressing, it was extra special. Thanks for this amazing recipe.