Vegan Peanut Butter frosting. I realised once I had posted my perfect vegan chocolate cake recipe, that I had woefully failed to share the recipe for the amazing frosting that tops it.
This frosting is really simply to make, simply cream together room temperature vegan butter along with the peanut butter, and then sift in the icing sugar. Finally, add a little vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt.
I love to spread this icing on chocolate cake or cupcakes, but to be honest, I have also stirred it into my daily oatmeal. You could also use it as a filling for sandwich cookies.
- Vegan butter, use your favorite brand. Ensure that it is at room temperature.
- Peanut Butter. Personally I think that a brand like Skippy or Sun-Pat works better here, purely because it has more flavor. However, if you want to keep your icing a little more healthy (and with less palm oil), use your own favorite nut butter. Again, ensure it is at room temperature. Note: you can use crunchy if you like. I prefer smooth, but that’s just me.
- Icing sugar. No other sugar will work. Make sure you sift it into the bowl (or beforehand).
- Vanilla Extract. Purely for its flavor.
- Sea Salt. Just a pinch to balance all that sweetness and enhance the peanut flavor.
Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 Electric Hand Whisk or standalone mixer
- ½ cup Butter vegan, or use margarine, very soft
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Place the butter and peanut butter into a large mixing bowl and beat well until soft and creamy.
- Sift over the icing sugar and very slowly mix. I like to start this step by hand because the icing sugar billows up into the air and then it's just a whole new clean up job!
- Beat the icing into the butter mixture until thoroughly mixed. Add in the vanilla extract and pinch salt.
- If the mixture isn't quite thick enough, add a little more icing sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until you reach the desired thickness.
- Icing will set up on standing or when refrigerated, but is easily spreadable at this stage.
- Will keep stored in the fridge, covered, for up to a week.