How to make a spicy cornmeal coating for tofu, vegetables and anything else you might like to coat!
Table of Contents
- cornmeal – cornmeal adds crunch
- flour and cornflour – these help to coat
- spices – these can be adjusted according to your own personal taste
See recipe card for quantities.
Place all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl or straight into your jar
- Spicy – add chili pepper flakes to the spice mix to make it extra piquant!
- Kid friendly – remove the cayenne pepper and reduce the black pepper by half
You can make the cornmeal coating well in advance and store in a glass container, it will keep for ages.
Spicy Cornmeal Coating
- 1 Jar for storing your spice mix in
- 1 cup Cornmeal - I use coarse
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder - I used smoked
- Mix all of the ingredients together in your jar, place the lid on it tightly and shake well to mix.
Please note that where the recipe asks for milk, butter or yogurt, this refers to any plant-based version that you prefer.